Adult Christian Education (ACE) are hour-long classes held on Sunday mornings at 10:00 AM, which also coincide with children’s Sunday School hour. These classes usually fall into two tracks:
- Biblical/Theological track: Focuses on a book or section of the Bible or a theological topic and seeks to increase our understanding while applying the relevance of this truth to our lives.
- Christian living track: Focuses on aspects of our contemporary lives (marriage, parenting, spiritual practices, work, discipleship, etc.) and explores the Scriptures for perspective.
Current ACE Classes:
Parenting: It’s Not What You Think (April 24-May 8, May 29-June 26, 2022)
Join us for this 8 week video based parenting class by speaker Paul Tripp. We will spend 8 weeks exploring and discussing:
- How we give up trying to control our kids’ behavior and step into God’s calling for us as parents.
- How we shape our kids’ character and learn how to lovingly expose the sin in their hearts and point them to Jesus.
- How to help our children and family thrive during the teen years.
- How to rest in God and experience abounding joy as a mother or father.
Prior ACE Class Videos / Audios:
TOPIC: Theological Foundations for Leaders (September 2021- February 2022)
Join Pastor Steve, Steve Hoogerhyde and our officer candidates for this 16-week discussion-based survey of our doctrinal beliefs. We’ll explore what we believe, why it matters, and how to live in response to the truth. All adults are welcome. Officer candidates will be completing assigned reading for each lesson; others are encouraged but not required to do the reading. Those who are interested should purchase their own copies of the Westminster Confession of Faith and John Frame’s book, Salvation Belongs to the Lord.
TOPIC: Protect Young Eyes (March 5 – 26, 2021)
[Facilitated by Children’s Director Karen Jacobsen]
This series will introduce parents to the potential danger and challenges of their kids’ online use as well as how to teach their children how to faithfully and Biblically use technology to the glory of God.
1. 3/5/21 – Porn is the Norm
2. 3/12/21 – Technology is Re-wiring Your Kids’ Minds and Hearts
3. 3/19/21 – Where the Kids Are is Where the Predators Are
4. 3/26/21 – Technology is Fuel for Cruel Behavior
TOPIC: God’s Mission & You (Jan 22 – Feb 19)
[Taught by Pastor Steve and Steve Hoogerhyde]
This class explores our place in God’s mission by summarizing some of the key themes from the Perspectives on the World Christian Movement course hosted by GRC in Fall 2020.
1. 1/22/21 – God is a Missionary God
2. 1/29/21 – The Story of God’s Glory
3. 2/5/21 – The Story of God’s Glory Across Time and Around the World
4. 2/12/21 – Building Bridges Across Cultures
5. 2/19/21 – Being a World Christian
TOPIC: Living as Salt & Light in 2020 & Beyond (Sept 18 – Nov 20)
[Taught by Pastor Steve]
How we are to fulfill our calling to be “salt and light,” sent as ambassadors of Christ, and live for his kingdom mission. What does that look like in light of a global pandemic and social/racial unrest? How do we build bridges in this polarized and scary time? Explore how to live missionally and faithfully engage our culture.
Part 1: Missional Preliminaries
1. 9/18/20 – Our Calling: Salt, Light & Ambassadors
2. 9/25/20 – Our Context: Increasingly Hostile & Socially Distanced
3. 10/2/20 – Our Attitude: Godly Distress vs. Personal Offense
4. 10/9/20 – Our Posture: How to Disagree Agreeably
TOPIC: Moralistic Therapeutic Deism (July 5 – July 26)
[Taught by Dr. Mo Hanna]
Moralistic Therapeutic Deism (MTD) is a term that describes the spirituality of our age: God wants everyone to be happy, nice, and feel good about themselves. It’s become the de facto belief system of the younger generations and increasingly even those in the church. This belief system is explored in detail, and in contrast to the Gospel, since so many of our friends, family, and neighbors are MTD believers.
- (July 5) Introduction + Video recording
- (July 12) Deism/Theism + Video recording
- (July 19) Moralistic + Video recording
- (July 26) Therapeutic
TOPIC: Knowing God in Daily Life (June 7 – June 28)
[Taught by Pastor Steve]
It’s a lifelong journey to connect the dots between what we know to be true about God in our heads with where the rubber hits the road in our lives. This class explored how themes from the “doctrine of God” can make a tangible difference in our daily lives.
- (June 7) The Trinity and Our Relationships
- (June 14) God’s Providence and Our Peace
- (June 21) God’s Glory and Our Purpose
- (June 28) God’s Mission and Our Mission
TOPIC: Family Discipleship (March 29 – May 24, 2020)
[Taught by Pastor Steve]
These classes were a joint-effort between adults, Youth, and Children’s Ministry to provide hands-on practical training for parents on conducting family discipleship. An at-home curriculum was provided for families to use for discipleship relevant to the whole family (all age ranges).
- (March 29) Developing Convictions
- (April 5) Getting Started
- (April 12) No ACE class; Easter/Prayer Service
- (April 19) Gospel-Centered Application
- (April 26) Discipleship as a Way of Life
- (May 3) A Format for Family Bible Reading & Bible Reading Questions
- (May 10) Making Missional Disciples
- (May 17) Q & A
- (May 24) Encouraging a Godward Orientation
Psalm 119 Curriculum:
- Lesson 1: Psalm 119: 1-8 (Aleph)
- Lesson 2: Psalm 119: 9-16 (Beth)
- Lesson 3: Psalm 119: 65-72 (Teth)
- Lesson 4: Psalm 119: 89-96 (Lamedh)
- Lesson 5: Psalm 119: 97-104 (Mem)
TOPIC: Faith@Work (April 19 ~ May 24, 2020)
[Taught by Donald Thampy & Steve Hoogerhyde]
How does your faith affect your work? Does your belief in God have anything to do with how and why you work? How are you a witness at work? What makes work difficult, and how can work be fruitful and enjoyable?
- (April 19) Work and Worldview: Biblical Perspectives
- (April 26) Work and Witness: Biblical Examples
- (May 3) Work: Service or Servitude?
- (May 10) Work: Mission or Money-Making?
- (May 17) Mission Field: Witness While You Work
- (May 24) Minefield: When Work Becomes Difficult