Prayer for Afghanistan and Haiti – 8/18/2021
Please be in prayer for the recent world events. The following resources are offered for more information and as tips for how to pray:
“How to Pray for Haiti After Another Deadly Earthquake”
(CT article specific prayer requests offered towards end of the article)
A Liturgy for Responding to International Tragedy (The Upstream Collective)
The following is provided by Missions Catalyst, a weekly missions blog:
AFGHANISTAN: Taliban Takes Full Control
Source: Open Doors, August 16, 2021
The Taliban now hold Afghanistan. Earlier, Al Jazeera released videos of Taliban fighters entering the capital city Kabul with ease, taking the reins in the Presidential Palace, and declaring an end to the 20-year war. In addition, President Ashraf Ghani reportedly fled to Tajikistan over the weekend to prevent further bloodshed (although other sources mentioned Uzbekistan).
With the collapse of the government, the expansion of extremism, food shortages, and the raging pandemic, Afghanistan needs urgent prayer from the global Church now more than ever.
- Please pray for the small group of believers in the country.They are walking on eggshells and are uncertain whom to trust.
- Pray for the displaced. A new wave of refugees is expected to come from Afghanistan to many parts of the Middle East and the rest of the world.
- Pray for the women. Many women fear that Taliban rule means they will be stripped of opportunities for education.
- Pray for the sick. Though under-reported in international media, COVID-19 cases are spiking in the country, and hospitals are limited in what they can offer.
- Pray that the country will not be a haven for extremists. The Taliban government of 20 years ago [were] known enablers of extremist Islamic organizations.