Grace Redeemer Church (PCA) is a Gospel-centered, missional, multi-ethnic congregation in the midst of a highly diverse suburban county just outside of Manhattan. We were planted by Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City in 1999, and we have planted two daughter churches in our 20 years. Our current vision includes the desire to become a church planting center in which we will constantly be involved in church planting in our region and around the world.
Grace Redeemer Church seeks to hire a church planting resident who will serve on staff at GRC for 2-3 years, depending on experience, before planting. The purpose of this residency is to:
- Gain experience living and ministering in the Metro NYC area and confirm one’s gifting and calling for planting in northern New Jersey.
- Develop a launch team and receive a “running start” at church planting by incubating the foundational stages of a future church plant while serving on GRC staff.
- Provide adequate time to identify a target area and learn the context for the future plant while living and ministering in the region.
- Develop relationships of mutual edification, support, and encouragement with other leaders who are seeking to advance the cause of Christ through church planting.
A prospective church planting resident will:
- Demonstrate core godliness: secure-in-Christ, a man who has nothing to prove to his peers or to the flock. A man who preaches the Gospel to himself, and who models the Gospel to his family.
- Demonstrate a missional lifestyle, a shepherding/discipling heart, strong evangelistic gifts, and the ability to gather people in the context of an unchurched, secular culture.
- Relish the opportunity to minister within a fast-paced environment.
- Have a Gospel-centered philosophy of ministry and love God, God’s people, and the lost.
- Be an entrepreneurial self-starter.
- Ability to relate comfortably and competently to people representing a Metro-NY culture that is highly diverse racially/ethnically and socio-economically.
- Have a teachable spirit; a life-long learner.
- Have already attended an approved Assessment Center and received a “Provisional Qualification” or better.
- Be ordained in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) or have educational and experiential qualifications suitable for (transfer of) ordination in the PCA.
- Engaging the lost, lonely, and hurting in the wider community.
- Sharing in the general pastoral responsibilities of the church, including shepherding, biblical counseling, occasional preaching and teaching.
- Personally disciple and equip a group of men.
- Participate in leadership development.
This position is full-time and provides a salary/benefits package commensurate with qualifications and experience. GRC will provide 50% of the total salary package, while the church planting resident will be responsible to demonstrate their ability to raise support by raising the remaining 50%. Benefits include vacation and study leave; health, life and disability insurance; and contributions to the PCA retirement plan.
Applications via email-only should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should include:
- Ministerial Data Form
- Church Planting Assessment Evaluation
- 2-3 sample sermons (links to a Website or sent via mp3/mp4 format)
- Cover letter briefly addressing:
- Why are you interested in planting in northern New Jersey?
- If married, describe your wife’s perspective on (a) church planting (b) in northern New Jersey.
- Why do you think we need more churches? (i.e., What’s the purpose of church planting?)
- Who has influenced you within the PCA, and who has influenced your understanding of mission?